Do you wish to swaddle your newborn to ensure comfortable and safe sleep? Keep in mind that you should keep certain things in your mind when it comes to swaddling. Swaddling is the ancient method for wrapping the newborns in a cloth or think blanket. It helps your baby feel secure and safe because he/she adjusts to life outside the womb.
It prevents the newborn from flailing his or her legs and arms that trigger his or her startle reflex and cause him or her to wake up. In simple words, swaddle keeps the infant warm and cozy until his/her internal thermostat starts into gear. In the market, you will now find several types of the swaddle.
Based on your needs and budget, you can go with the right option. At present, many parents used velcro swaddle as it is easy to use and offers enough comfort and protection to the baby.
How to swaddle the baby
It is quite daunting to get the swaddling skills for the first time. However, you can wrap up the baby with the following steps easily and quickly.
- Spread your baby’s swaddle in the shape of a diamond along with one corner pointing up on the flat surface. Then, fold the top corner down about six inches
- Place your infant face-up on the blanket. It means his/her head should sit above blanket’s folded edge and his/her body must extend straight down towards the blanket’s bottom corner.
- Next, take the blanket’s left side and wrap it over the baby’s chest and arm. After that, tuck the swaddle underneath the infant’s right arm and back. Now, your baby’s left arm is covered while the right arm is free
- You need to fold the blanket’s bottom corner over the baby’s body and then tuck it under the first fold. Now, it is time to straighten your newborn’s right arm and pull the blanket’s right side over the baby’s body. Finally, you have to tuck it under the baby’s left side.
- To secure the blanket, you need to twist the bottom of the blanket loosely and tuck it under your baby
Keep in mind that the swaddle should not be too tight and snug. To ensure the comfort and breathability, place two or three fingers between the blanket and baby’s chest. It must be loose around the baby’s hips and therefore the baby moves the legs freely. If you use the velcro swaddle, you need not worry about the need for tucking and folding. It delivers the same benefit just like other swaddles.
Things to consider
As soon as you decide to purchase a swaddle of any type. it is necessary to keep the following things in mind.
- Ease of use
- Size of the baby
- Material in which swaddle made
- Size and elasticity of the swaddle
- Designs with comforting colors
It is always better to purchase the swaddle after considering the season in which the baby is born and your room’s temperature. It should be a little stretchable and made from organic cotton.